When you see skunks for the first time, you cannot help but feel in awe because they are cute creatures. You do know however that once skunks spray you, it will be hard for you to get rid of the smell for days. Skunks can eat a lot of different items. They can eat other living creatures and they can eat other fruits and vegetables as well.
They may look cute but they can do a lot of damage to your garden that you would like to improve. If in case you are feeling a bit confused about what you have to do, remember that knowing what keep skunks away can always be effective. Here are more things that you have to do:
- Observe where the skunks usually get access to food and eliminate those food sources. If you know that the skunk always gets some fruits from your tree, you may create a fence that will discourage the skunk from entering. If you have some berries, you may also add some netting so skunks will not be able to get them. It may be enough to drive them away because if they do not get fed, they search for other sources.
- If there is some rotten food products scattered all over your home, get rid of these products. If they are biodegradable, you can use them as fertilizers so bury them in various parts of your garden but if you have no use for them, dispose them properly.
- Get rid of the bugs that may be found in your garden. Of course, you do not want to get rid of some insects that will be good for your garden. You need to make sure that you will only get rid of those that skunks usually eat. The more that you lessen their food sources, the more that they will not bother your garden.
- Have some traps for skunks that visit your garden often. Remember that the traps you are going to make should not harm skunks in any way. It is best to contact a pest control company that will be in charge of placing the skunks in places where they rightfully belong.
- Have some fox urine scent available. Skunks are intimidated by fox and if they smell fox urine, they would most likely stay away.
- Get to know some of the plants that will help get rid of skunks. There are a lot of skunks that love squash but will hate their leaves with passion. The leaves of squash may have little hair that can irritate the skunk.
- Mothballs can be very effective in repelling skunks. You can expect that skunks will naturally smell mothballs because they have a great sense of smell. They do not like the scent and they would rather go someplace wherein they are not irritated.
Can you still think of other tips that will help get rid of skunks in your garden? Remember to avoid getting sprayed by skunks and hiring professionals may still be the best choice available.